Saturday, January 3, 2009

Koadikanal

We have been in Kodi for a week or so. This is where Mercy grew up, where the International School is that she and all her siblings attended. Her father, Earnest, is in charge of the finances for the school and her mother, Jananthi, is a dorm parent for 24 high school girls. They are on vacation now so we are staying in the dorm, along with Mercy and Nikhil (while they were here - they left here Dec 31st for Pune and will leave Pune for Chicago 5 Jan), sister Grace and brother Imanuel. Mom and Dad have an apt just off the dorm. It is quite convienent to have all this much room. There is a big fireplace in the great room of the dorm where we gather for prayers at night.

Kodi reminds me of a Colorado town - Cold in am and pm, but warm in the mid day. There is a lovely lake not far from here and windy, twisty roads with lots of shops for buying souvineers and gifts. When I went on a tour of per schools yesterday, I discovered Kodi is much bigger than I'd realized.

A lady from Brithania, a Christian program for children age 3 - 5, took me to 5 different centers.
It was the kids 1st day back to school and (thanks to cell phones) each group was prepared to share with me the dances they'd learned for their Christmas program and recite scripture, days of the week, ABCs, poems, songs, various things they'd learned in ENGLISH, which is not their first language, and probably not their 2nd. These children come at no cost to the parents and are provided uniforms, food and loving teachers. The parents are very poor and have to work early and late. The children would be on their own and on the streets. I got lots of pictures.

There is also a women's program to teach them to sew and do crafts. I bought several things to bring to show and perhaps to sent orders and sell in the states.

Sorry I don't have more time. Will write again when I can. Much love,mj