Sunday, January 18, 2009

Happy Anniversery to Us!!!

Today, Jan 18th, 2009 marks the 56th anniversery of our wedding. As some of you may have noticed, I'd quit wearing my wedding ring because the knuckle on that finger had gotten so big it was pressing my very wide band, that we chose for our 25th anniversary, painfully into my hand. The first ring you may not know was filed off my fat finger by my nervous husband. Well, Today we have new wedding rings _ Indian silver _ at a greatly reduced price from the James Averys we were looking at. These should take us to the 75th anniversary, unless I have something else happen. You notice it's always me; PC had 3 perfectly good wedding rings.

We left Kodiakanal on Mon Jan 5th for our 13 day tour of south India. At our first rest stop, there was a large cage with several birds and a white rabbit. As I got closer I saw a monkey tethered to a tree with quite a long rope. I watched as he used his marvelous hands to untangle his rope till he had his full length available. I was maybe a few feet from him when he started chasing me. As I backed up, he advanced, snarling and reaching for my shoes. I decided he was the guard of the birds and rabbit and contented myself with a zoom-in photo of them.

Our first night was at Poovar Island Wildlife Refuge. Arriving at 1pm gave us enough time to rest and have our banana, orange and tea biscuit lunch before the afternoon boat ride to see the wild animals. There were Shamba deer, wild boars, bison and many birds that nest in the top of tree trunks that still stand in the lake after 50 years of the lake being created. There is no bark and no limbs, just solitary markers the boats use to guide them. The rare sighting that had cameras snapping was a group of 5 wild elephants - 2 youth, 2 mamas and an auntie. They were busy giving themselves a dirt bath, throwing the red dusty soil up over themselves. They looked at us. We looked at them. We were told to be very quiet. There were 4 boats all looking quietly. Then the babies turned and walked the few steps to the brush covering. The 3 ladies turned their rear to us. We got the message - photo op over! The last I saw of them they were still on the shore, having stood their ground.

The next day we were taken to a spice "farm" (or forest or jungle) where we were shown many spices and allowed to taste (cinnamon) and observe (touch-me-not) and photograph. Then came the adventure of riding an elephant. The only animal I've ridden is a horse and then never bareback or with only a saddle blanket. I was so surprised at being able to feel her shoulders move under me. Next I was surprised at how high we were. Her shoulders must have been 8'. PC said little, but HE was the one who got the info and got us to the right place. I think he really enjoyed it.
At home in time for our banana and cheese and bread, we sat in the lovely lawn with a third chair acting as a table. As I was placing things out in a pleasing manner - BAM - the bananas were gone!!! I screamed but didn't frighten the monkey that sat quite close eating all 6 of our little fruits. It's true; they open the banana at the "other" end. They don't tear them off to eat a single one like we do; they eat them all, but one at a time. PC had to chase one out of our room later. We learned to fasten the door securely.

We've had 3 weeks of the best Indian food in the world in both Nikhil's and Mercy's homes. It was served for our sissy N. Am. pallet. They went to great lengths to have food PC could eat. We've eaten out, and they ordered for us, knowing what we could handle. Now, however, we are on our own. PC is having some difficulty. We've become a fan of curd (which is like yogurt) that calms your mouth when it's on fire. He eats a large breakfast of eggs and toast with butter and jam, hot cereal and milk. Coffee and tea is served with hot milk and sugar, which pleases PC. I've started asking for black tea, and enjoy that.

I'll sign off for now and take rest. We miss you all. Love,mj

1 comment:

Sarah Boyette said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of you on the elephant! Did you ride it side-saddle?